The creator

Judit Nádor (1934 – 2016) ceramic artistÖnarckép

Judit Nádor was born in Sopron in 1934. She spent her youth in Bonyhád where she studied photography beside her mother.

She was not admitted to secondary school because her father had been an army officer in the previous regime so she went to evening school and took her A-levels while working. She was interested in animals and would have liked to become a biologist but eventually she decided to pursue a career in art.

Judit Nádor graduated from the ceramic department of the College of Applied Arts in 1962 where ceramic artist Árpád Csekovszky and sculptor Miklós Borsos had been her masters. In the same year she moved to Pécs and started working as a ceramic designer in the Porcelain Factory (the former Zsolnay factory) of Pécs together with György Fürtös, her classmate at college.

In the factory she designed porcelain and eosin glazed decorative objects , souvenirs and plaquettes, amongst which her figurines of fish, birds and cocks are the most sought after.

From the mid-sixties her interest turned towards pyrogranite and her stylised animal figures sold as garden ornaments became popular.

Her first solo exhibition was held at the ethnographic department of Janus Pannonius Museum in 1965.

She participated in the National Ceramic Biennale of Pécs between 1968 and 1978.

In 1969 Judit Nádor and her colleagues in the Zsolnay factory, György Fürtös and Antal Gazder, were invited to the workshop of the Ceramic Symposium of Siklós starting at that time, which was supported by the Zsolnay factory with technical background and materials right from the beginning.

From the seventies she turned her attention to an autonomous approach of plastic formation. She mainly worked with chamotte and pyrogranite and studied the possible uses of ceramics in architecture.

Due to medical problems her career as an artist came to an end in 1979.

Her sculptures can be seen in public places in Pécs, Kaposvár, Kecskemét and Lahti (Finnish twin town of Pécs).

Her works of art can be found in the the collection of Janus Pannonius Museum.